Fitness – Let’s Get Started

Ok, so now the January rush has died down in the gym, that warm and bright spot in the sky is making regular appearances and our coffee tables are adorned with more holiday brochures than gift guides, it might actually be time to put the excuses to one side and start to think about getting your fitness journey started…

… Yes that might be the biggest cliche I have ever put on here, but I honestly believe that the ‘fitness journey’ does exist. For years I bumbled around in the gym not really knowing what I wanted to do or what I wanted to achieve (other than being skinny of course) and I wish that blogging had been around back then and that there had been someone out there sharing their starting out tips. 

With that in mind today’s post is all about getting started with your own fitness journey and those little things that I wish it hadn’t taken me years to figure out.

HYDRATE | When I say this I honestly don’t mean rehydrate (although this is super important too), but rather that spending your post gym hours guzzling a gallon of water pace yourself throughout the day and aim to drink 2-3 litres to keep yourself feeling alert, combat false hunger and flush out toxins.

PACE YOURSELF | Don’t throw yourself head first into a new diet and exercise regime all at once, your body will need time to adjust to both so don’t set yourself up for a fail and take baby steps, not giant leaps forward. So clear out your cupboards and clean up your diet first (check out this video by The Lean Machines for advice on ‘How To Lose Fat‘) give your body a few day’s to adjust and then start to introduce a little exercise. 

KIT UP | Personally I feel even more motivated to workout when I have got some gorgeous new kit to head out in and having the right kit will help you to get the most out of your workouts. Carly Rowena recently wrote all about finding your perfect trainer over on her site and personally I love SuperdrySport for high quality, but I’ve picked up great pieces from Primark too that I adore.

KNOW YOUR GOAL | What are you aiming for? You need to be realistic, don’t aim to drop two dress sizes in a matter of weeks or a stone in a fortnight and set yourself up for a fail, pick something longterm to aim for and break it down into smaller short-term goals. They say it takes 4 weeks for you to start seeing changes, so keep at it make sure you measure your progress. Remember, muscle weighs more than fat and so the scales aren’t always the best measure, take photo’s and size measurements too.

PLAY OUT | Getting fit isn’t all about getting hot and sweaty inside, one of the best and easiest (not to mention free) ways to start being more active is to pop on your trainers and go out for a stroll once a day. Not only will the movement increase your heart rate, get the blood pumping around your body and burn a few calories, the fresh air will help clear your head and the sunshine will help you to produce a little more of that happy hormone for you to enjoy.

LISTEN UP | When I first started working out the one thing I did (thanks to Zest magazine) was load my iPod (retro) with a load of high tempo tunes to turn up and zone out to on the treadmill. These days I use the iMusic app and listen to my favourite artists (I’m in full on Black Eyed Peas mode at the minute) and also their Workout Playlists too.

LIVE | Although it is important to commit to a healthier lifestyle in order to get fit, don’t forget to live. It can be all too easy to get caught up in your goals and start avoiding social occasions so that you’re not tempted to totally face plant at the all you can eat buffet, or have on etoo many glasses of Prosecco at a friends birthday. However, this is when you will start to get fed up with what you are doing and this will only lead to one thing, binging. Live by the 80:20 rule, eat well and train hard 80% of the week and enjoy the remaining 20% by doing whatever it is that makes you smile. So eat Pizza, drink Prosecco and Party!

But there you have it, I have loads more tips and could go on all day, but I think that covers the ‘getting started’ basics. 

If you have any more hint’s and tips please share them below and I’ll catch up with you again soon, until then though x

Thanks for stopping by, don’t forget to join me on Facebook, Twitter or Bloglovin’ to stay up-to date

Some of these items may have been sent to me for review. Please see my disclaimer for more information.